Hi there and welcome to Calendar Girls’ very first read-a-long! As a monthly blogging event, we strive to welcome all bloggers and readers and to find new ways for them to engage with each other (over books, of course 😜).
One such way was suggested by one of our wonderful Calendar Girls and thus we have a new part of the monthly event: Read-A-Longs! Woo! Since the read-a-longs follow the monthly theme, July’s read-a-long theme is Fairytale Retellings! And the wonderful bloggers popped over to Twitter where they voted for which book they’d want to read this month. The winner was….
A. G. Howard
In this modern day spin on Leroux’s gothic tale of unrequited love turned to madness, seventeen-year-old Rune Germain has a mysterious affliction linked to her operatic talent, and a horrifying mistake she’s trying to hide. Hoping creative direction will help her, Rune’s mother sends her to a French arts conservatory for her senior year, located in an opera house rumored to have ties to The Phantom of the Opera.
At RoseBlood, Rune secretly befriends the masked Thorn—an elusive violinist who not only guides her musical transformation through dreams that seem more real than reality itself, but somehow knows who she is behind her own masks. As the two discover an otherworldly connection and a soul-deep romance blossoms, Thorn’s dark agenda comes to light and he’s forced to make a deadly choice: lead Rune to her destruction, or face the wrath of the phantom who has haunted the opera house for a century, and is the only father he’s ever known.
Chapters 1-7 Discussion Questions
- Did you have any thoughts/ideas about the story before reading? Perhaps based off the blurb?
- What do you think about the colored text in the book? Does it have any impact on your reading experience/perception of the main character, Rune?
- How do you like Rune so far? Connectable? Distant? Other adjectives? (hee hee!)
- How do you feel about the dual-POV of Rune and Thorn? Does it enhance the overall story telling or is it bothersome?
- Any predictions regarding whether or not/how Rune’s gypsy heritage will tie into the story?
- Any thoughts on how the story will progress? Any desires for where the story will go?
- Any other commentary so far?
Answer a few. Answer them all. Come up with your own! 😀
July 10th: Discuss chapters 1-7
July 12th: Discuss chapters 8-13
July 14th: Discuss chapters 14-19
July 16th: Discuss chapters 20-24 (The End!)
Oh! And while you’re reading, feel free to share your progress and/or non-spoilered thoughts (because Roseblood just pubbed in January) on Twitter. Use the hashtag #CGBReadalong so other readers can see what you think and chime in.